In order to be considered for a pulmonary and critical care fellowship, each applicant must have:

  • Three years of internal medicine residency in the U.S. or in a foreign Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)-accredited training program 
  • A completed Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) application

All interested applicants must apply for our fellowship programs through ERAS. Please submit your ERAS application to the University of Kentucky fellowship of your choice.

International Students

J-1 training visas through the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) may be sponsored by the University of Kentucky, but a J-1 visa is required at time of interview. If you have further questions about visas, please contact our graduate medical education office at 859-323-5871.

Kentucky Medical License

All house staff are required to have a Kentucky license at the earliest date for which they are eligible. Fellows must apply for a full license, which requires successful completion of United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Step 3.

Stipends and Benefits

Stipend and benefits are set by the university and dependent on postgraduate year. Our programs routinely support fellows requiring maternity or paternity leave. For specific information, please refer to the Graduate Medical Student website here.


Please contact Gwen Parks with questions or for more information at