The UK College of Medicine Office of Medical Education is committed to excellence in education and medical student well-being. Understanding how challenging medical school can be, our goal is to provide a supportive community that promotes wellness so that you will become the best physician you can be. Your wellness is our priority.
Welcome to the wellness and counseling webpage. Below are quick references to wellness resources, staff, and programs to help decrease stress, increase physical activity, and enhance your general well-being. More information on each resource is available by clicking on the links listed to the right.
Woodland Group Counseling (12 free sessions)
The College of Medicine partners with the Lexington Medical Society to offer individual counseling services through the Woodland Group. To make an appointment with a psychologist in the Woodland Group, call 1-800-350-6438 and leave a message. A student has access to 12 free counseling sessions per calendar year. You can also find more information here.
Medical Student Support Program
The UK College of Medicine Department of Psychiatry and the Dean’s Office offer a mental health program for all medical students, the Medical Student Support Program. To schedule an appointment, call 859-323-6009. Please leave your name and identify yourself as a medical student, and someone will return your call.
University Health Services
University Health Services psychiatrists and mental health providers provide counseling and medication management for a variety of mental health conditions.
To schedule an appointment, please call 859-323-5511.
988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline
988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline (formerly the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline): Call 988 to access free and confidential support 24/7 for people in distress.
Free Headspace App
Headspace, a mindfulness and meditation app, is available for free to any UK student. You can apply for Headspace here.
Resilient - Student Wellness Organization
Resilient is a student-led organization that was established to make personal wellness a priority for all students.
Click here to learn more about Resilient and other peer support services.
Physical Health and Arts Resources
The University of Kentucky offers multiple physical health and arts resources to students.
Click here to learn more about these opportunities.
Talkspace: Access mental health clinicians through this confidential and secure online text and video chat therapy platform. All currently enrolled UK students (all campuses) have access free of charge. To access the service and learn more about the resource, visit: www.Talkspace.com/uky.
- How Talkspace works:
- Answer a few simple questions to get started — it takes less than two minutes.
- The Talkspace team will match you with a provider (typically within 48 hours).
- Connect with your provider and begin your mental health journey, including unlimited messaging and two phone or video sessions each month.
TRACS (Triage, Referral, Assistance and Crisis Support)
TRACS (Triage, Referral, Assistance and Crisis Support), a physical and virtual one-stop shop where students can come for a quick referral to support services or receive direct clinical support for a range of mental health needs and crises.
- Services are offered in-person and virtually, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. For more information on TRACS, visit go.uky.edu/tracs or Call 859-21-TRACS (859-218-7227).
Northern Kentucky Campus
NKU Health, Counseling, and Student Wellness Center is located in the University Center on NKU’s main campus and offers therapy for individuals, couples, and groups. To make appointments call 859-572-5650. This service is free to all UK College of Medicine-Northern Kentucky Campus students: https://inside.nku.edu/studentaffairs/departments/counseling-services.html
Bowling Green Campus
- WKU Counseling Center is located in 409 Potter Hall on WKU’s main campus and offers therapy for individuals, couples, and groups. To make an appointment call 270-745-3159. This service is free to all UK College of Medicine-Bowling Green Campus students.
- WKU Talley Family Counseling Center is located in 3012 Ransdell Hall on WKU’s campus and offers counseling services for individuals, couples and families. To make an appointment call 270-745-4204. This service is free to all UK College of Medicine-Bowling Green Campus students.
- WKU PsyD Counseling Program is located in 1035 Ransdell Hall on WKU’s campus and offers counseling services for individuals. To make an appointment call 270-745-2696. Saturday and evening appointments available. This service is free to all UK College of Medicine-Bowling Green Campus students.