Questions about the FAFSA

Where do I file the FAFSA and how often do I need to file it?

The FAFSA can be found at and should be completed each year that you want to utilize Federal Student Aid. 

The FAFSA becomes available in December of each year for the following award year.

To complete the FAFSA you must have an FSA ID. If you do not have one, you can create one here.

What is the College of Medicine code number for filing the FAFSA?

The code is E00588

What is the College of Medicine's Federal School code number for the application for the Federal Direct Loan Program?

The code is 001989

Do I need to include my parents' information on the FAFSA?

Due to recent changes to the FAFSA, medical students can no longer provide parental income information on the application. We still require students to complete the FAFSA to be considered for need-based scholarships, regardless of whether or not they plan to borrow student loans.

Questions about Entrance Counseling and MPN

Is online Entrance Counseling required when completing the Master Promissory Note (MPN)?

Entrance Counseling is required for any student who utilizes the Federal Direct Loan Program. 

You can find the Entrance Counseling on which should only take about 20 minutes to complete. 

What information do I need to complete the MPN?

The MPN can be found on It must be completed in one session and should only take about 20 minutes. 

When selecting the school to notify, please choose "University of Kentucky (Lexington)" as the option for "Medicine" is not working. 

How often do I need to complete the Entrance Counseling and MPN?

Generally, you will need to complete the Entrance Counseling and MPN once (for your first application for the Direct Loan). The MPN can expire, though, which would require the completion of a new MPN. Our office will notify students if their MPN expires while attending medical school. 

If I attended UK as an undergraduate or graduate student and have an outstanding Direct Student Loans, must I complete another MPN to continue the program as a first-year medical student?

No, another MPN should not be required unless the MPN has expired. 

Questions about your myUK account

How will I receive the University of Kentucky tuition statement?

Tuition statements are emailed to students at the beginning of each semester (i.e. August 1st and January 1st). 

You can also find this in your myUK account under the Financials tab. 

How will the loan funds be disbursed if I select the Direct Loan Program?

The loan funds will be disbursed in two equal payments: the first disbursement in August and the second in January. 

These payments will be posted to your myUK student account for payment of tuition and fees. Any funds in excess of tuition and fees are called residual funds. Residual funds will be sent to you by Student Account Services by check or direct deposit. 

How to use Web Payment Services and set up Direct Deposit:

Go to your myUK account and login.

On the top navigation bar, go to Student Services. On the second-level navigation bar, go to Financials. 

Under Financials, go to Web Payment Service. Under Web Payment Service, go to Direct Deposit Info.

Enter you bank information in the Direct Deposit Info.

What other types of aid will be directly posted to my myUK account?

Other loans (e.g., Shely, private loans), Veterans benefits, and institutional scholarships (internal and external) will be posted to your myUK account.

What options are available for paying tuition?

Students can pay tuition and fees by credit card (2.25% service fee), debit card (1.25% service fee), or by electronic check (no service fee) online at myUK  (Financials --> Account Services --> Web Payment Service).
Students who fail to meet the initial fall and spring semester payment deadlines will be assessed a monthly penalty of 1.5 percent of the unpaid balance.

When will I receive a residual refund check from Student Account Services?

A residual refund check is generated when financial aid credit (actual funds directly posted to the student account) exceeds total charges. This usually occurs within a week to 10 days after the beginning of the semester. Residual checks are deposited directly into student-designated checking account.

How and when will I be notified about my financial aid award?

All new students who apply for financial aid receive a Financial Aid Award Notice on or around mid to late June. Recipients must accept or decline the aid offer at myUK and may also increase or reduce loan amounts.

Please note, these award notices do not include the Grad Plus Loan. Also note that only the Unsubsidized Loan can be reduced on your myUK account. To reduce or decline the Grad Plus Loan, you will need to contact our office. 

Other common questions

How do I establish Kentucky Residency?

Residency is handled by the Office of Undergraduate Admission and University Registrar.

Are students allowed to work during medical school?

Students are not permitted to work during medical school without proper approval from Student Progress and Promotions Committee (SPPC).

If my expenses exceed the budgeted Cost of Attendance (COA), how can I receive more financial aid?

We understand that in certain situations the COA budget does not accurately reflect the costs actually incurred during the academic year and in such cases, you may request a budget adjustment increase for documented expenses above those allocated in the COA.

To complete a budget adjustment request, please fill out this form.

How do I request Childcare Assistance?

To request childcare assistance, please complete the budget adjustment form and be sure to include all relevant receipts

May I purchase a computer and receive a federal loan for the cost?

Yes, provided you submit proper documentation of the purchase (maximum of $2,000) and the budget adjustment form. This cost is funded only once during your medical school career.

Before purchasing, learn more about the policy on laptop computers.

Can I receive financial aid for my moving expenses for medical school?

No, moving expenses are not budgeted for in the Cost of Attendance (COA) and not eligible for financial aid budget appeals under the Department of Education guidelines.