The UK College of Medicine Department of Surgery offers all faculty and staff a full range of creative and editorial services through its publications office.
Skills and Services
We are skilled in a wide variety of publishing endeavors including website development and the submission of manuscripts and abstracts. Our services are designed to allow clinician/scientists to submit their work in a timely manner. These services include:
- polishing rough drafts, including articles, chapters and grant narratives
- working with authors to edit and rewrite preliminary drafts and return a copy to the author(s) with alterations and revisions highlighted
- searching the National Library of Medicine (PubMed.Gov) and other resources to complete and format references
- entering revisions, copyediting for correct usage and consistency, and formatting manuscripts to a publisher’s specifications
- writing abstracts and submission letters, and mailing the required copies
- copyediting proofs of articles or chapters in press, and returning them promptly to the publisher
Editing and Managing Submissions
Research manuscript editing and submissions are our most important functions. However the publications office also offers document scanning, slide scanning, image editing and photography. Our print production capabilities range from color laser printing to high-definition poster printing.
We have mastery of the following software programs:
- The Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- The Adobe Creative Suite: Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver.
Research Support Program
This program provides assistance to residents, fellows, and faculty with composing and publishing academic research manuscripts. It encourages research and publication of first author manuscripts by bringing together resources to ensure that all of our residents have an opportunity to identify areas of research interest.