Publications Office Research Support Program
This program provides assistance to residents, fellows, and faculty with composing and publishing academic research manuscripts. It encourages research and publication of first author manuscripts by bringing together resources to ensure that all of our residents have an opportunity to identify areas of research interest.
To this end, the UK College of Medicine Department of Surgery researchers benefit from access to:
- A dedicated biostatistician/data base investigator,
- An experienced clinical research coordinator and staff, and
- Full-time medical writers/editors.
Numerous investigations have been initiated as a result of pairing faculty and residents with mutual research interests creating a positive mentoring environment. These collaborations have resulted in first author manuscripts published in such national and international peer-reviewed journals as Journal of the American College of Surgeons; Journal of Vascular Surgery; Annals of Vascular Surgery; International Journal of Angiology; Journal of Forensic Science; Ear, Nose and Throat Journal; Journal of Surgical Research, Annals of Thoracic Surgery, and Hernia, among others.
Residents also have the opportunity to submit abstracts and present findings at national medical conferences such as the American College of Surgeons; American Association for the Surgery of Trauma; Association for Academic Surgery; American Pediatric Surgical Association; and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Residency writing program services include:
- Literature reviews
- Manuscript formatting advice
- General writing assistance
- Access to surgery outcome data, and
- Statistical analysis.
Anatomy of a Paper
How to Write a Research Paper
Guide to Writing a Good Patient Case Report
Seven Easy Steps to Publishing
Writing an Abstract
Writing Good Abstracts
Advice for Grad Students — II [writing issues for science graduate students]
How to Conduct Responsible Research
Levels of Publication Importance (From Low to High Priority)
- Letter to the Editor
- Invited Commentary
- Non-Peer Reviewed Review or Transaction
- Case Report or Published Abstract
- Peer Reviewed Review
- Peer Reviewed Article (low-impact journal)
- Peer Reviewed Article (mid- to high-impact journal)
Levels of Presentation Importance (From Low to High Priority)
- UK Symposium
- Local Meeting
- State Meeting
- Regional Meeting
- National Meeting: Everything Accepted
- National Meeting: Juried Acceptance
- Invited Presentation: Unsponsored
- Invited Presentation: Sponsored