Congratulations to the pathology faculty and residents on all their accomplishments. Below are recent accomplishments in September and October.
- Dana Richards, MD is a co-investigator on a recently funded grant with Dr. Rina Plattner sponsored by the Markey Cancer Center Foundation. The grant is “Developing New Therapies for Metastatic Melanoma.” Excellent work Dr. Richards!
- We have exciting news from our residency program! Our residents had a total of seven abstracts accepted for the CAP 2023 Meeting in Chicago, Ill. The meeting was from Oct. 6-10, 2023. Please see below for details of resident and faculty participants. Congratulations to all of our excellent residents and thank you to the faculty that supported them in this research!
Faisal A. Hassan, MD, Eun A. Lee, MD; Kimberly Absher, MD; Dana Richards, MD - "Metastatic Dedifferentiated Liposarcoma with Morphologic Similarity to Well-differentiated Neuroendocrine Tumor"
Jeongeun Do, MD, Talal Arshad, MBBS, Matthew Purdom, MD - "Solitary Ulcerated Nodule in Elderly : Three Cases Demonstrating Histologic Spectrum of Atypical Fibroxanthoma / Pleomorphic Dermal Sarcoma"
Jing Di, MD, PhD, Mohamed S. Hussein, MBBCh, Leonard N. Yenwongfai, MD, Nathan R. Shelman, MD, Eun Lee, MD, Dava Piecoro, MD - "Clinically Unsuspected Systemic Mastocytosis Mimicking Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis: A Diagnostic Challenge"
Hafsa Nebbache, MD, Mohammed Hussein, MBBCh, Justin Rueckert, MD - "Solitary Fibrous Tumor of the Pancreas Masquerading as a Neuroendocrine Tumor Clinically"
Hafsa Nebbache, MD, Nathan Shelman, MD - "Congenital Intra-Abdominal Adhesion Band Causing Ketoacidosis due to Intestinal Ischemia: An Autopsy Report"
Juanita Ferreira, MD, Sahar Nozad, MD – “TdT Expression in High Grade B-cell Lymphoma with MYC and BCL2 Rearrangements can present a Diagnostic Pitfall”
Juanita Ferreira, MD, Sahar Nozad, MD – “Idiopathic Multicentric Castleman Disease with an Initial Presentation Mimicking a Chronic Myeloid Neoplasm with Increased Fibrosis”
- Derek Allison, MD is a Co-Investigator on two newly funded grants from the V Foundation, one through Dr. Eric Rellinger titled “Aberrant Fucosylation is a Critical Feature of Neuroblastoma Immune Evasion” and the other titled “Targeting RSK-TRIM28-E2F1 Axis Overcomes CDK4/6 Inhibitor Resistance in Lethal RB1 Deficient Prostate Cancer”. Congratulations Dr. Allison!
- Emily Bachert, MD, Therese Bocklage, MD, and Virgilius Cornea, MD, are authors on a recent publication titled “Adenosquamous proliferation in radial sclerosing lesions: Histologic spectrum and key features in systematic review of 247 lesions”. This article will be in the October edition of The Breast and is a direct result of funding received through an intradepartmental grant won in 2019. Excellent work everyone! The link to the publication is https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10432801/
- Therese Bocklage, MD is a Co-Investigator on an NCI funded grant titled “The PLOD2/Succinate Axis in Cancer Cell Plasticity and Stemness”. Great work Dr. Bocklage!
- Cody Bumgardner, MD has triple the good news today! He is the PI on a grant funded by Thynk Health LLC titled “ThynkHealth Data Labeling”. He is also a Co-Investigator on a grant funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse titled “Administrative Supplement: Rapid Actionable Data for Opioid Response in Kentucky (RADOR-KY)”. Excellent work Dr. Bumgardner! See below for his third bit of good news.
- Cody Bumgardner, MD and Peter Nelson, MD are Co-PIs on a newly funded grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders & Stroke titled “Federated Digital Pathology Platform for AD/ADRD Research and Diagnostics”. Congratulations
to both of you on this exciting work!
- Ibrahim Choucair, MD has been invited to join the Editorial Board of Annals of Laboratory Medicine. The Annals of Laboratory Medicine (Ann Lab Med, ISSN: 2234-3806) is an international, peer-reviewed journal aimed to reporting state-of-the-art reviews and clinical research in the field of laboratory medicine. Congratulations Dr. Choucair!
- Jing Di, MD and Leo Yenwongfai, MD both received Travel Awards from the Digital Pathology Association for the Pathology Vision 2023 meeting in October in Orlando, Florida! Dr. Di won for her abstract “The Utility of Artificial Intelligence in a Binary Classification of Soft Tissue Tumors”, co-authored by Caylin Hickey, Dr. Cody Bumgardner and Shadi Qasem, MD. Dr. Yenwongfai won his award for acceptance as a 2023 DAPA Trainee. Congratulations to both Jing and Leo on their awards!
- Eun Lee, MD is a Co-Investigator on two newly funded grants. One is an NCI grant through Dr. Hsin-Sheng Yang titled “Pdcd4-Rictor Interaction in Suppression of Lung Tumorigenesis” and the other is an NCI funded grant through Drs. Evers and Quingding Wang titled “Targeting the Immunosuppressive Tumor Microenvironment for Colorectal Cancer Treatment”. Great work Dr. Lee!
- Aaron Shmookler, MD is the co-author on two chapters in a book recently published by the AABB Press: On-Call Manual: A Systematic Approach to Solving Common Issues in Transfusion Medicine. The link to the publication is https://www.aabb.org/aabb-store/product/on-call-manual-a-systematic-approach-to-solving-common-issues-in-transfusion-medicine-print-17051038. Excellent work Dr. Shmookler!