Coy Flowers, MD
- Associate Professor
- Division and Medical Director, UK Women’s Health – Georgetown
Biography and Education
Coy A. Flowers, MD, FACOG, is a graduate of the West Virginia University School of Medicine. In medical school, he joined the US Navy where he completed his internship and residency in Obstetrics & Gynecology at the National Naval and Walter Reed Army Medical Centers. In the United States, as well as abroad in Cuba and Iceland, he served more than a decade in the US Navy and left active service as a Lieutenant Commander.
Dr. Flowers is board certified in both Obstetrics & Gynecology. After caring for patients for over 13 years in private practice, he is thrilled to accept his new role as Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology at the University of Kentucky School of Medicine and as Medical Director for UK Healthcare – Women’s Health in Georgetown. A Fellow of the American College of Obstetrics & Gynecology (ACOG), Dr. Flowers has also been a Clinical Assistant Professor at the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine and Lincoln Memorial University’s DeBusk School of Osteopathic Medicine. Recently, Dr. Flowers was honored to be elected Vice Chair of ACOG for the entire state of Kentucky. He also serves women’s health care nationally by serving on ACOG’s National Government Affairs Committee and is an ACOG Delegate to the American Medical Association.
Dr. Flowers’ clinical interests focus on a comprehensive approach to a woman’s health throughout her entire lifetime, including:
- Comprehensive obstetrical Care, prenatal & delivery
- Contraceptive care & family planning
- Annual well-woman care with an emphasis on preventative medicine
- Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery, including hysteroscopy with endometrial ablation & laparoscopy for endometriosis, ovarian cysts or other abnormalities
- Major gynecologic surgery, including hysterectomy via vaginal, laparoscopic or open techniques
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Urinary incontinence
- Infertility evaluation & treatment
- Cervical cancer screening & treatment
- Breast cancer screening
- Osteoporosis evaluation & treatment
- Hormone replacement therapy
- PCOS evaluation & treatment
- Menstrual abnormalities, such as irregular or heavy periods
I have been practicing medicine and taking care of women and their families since 1998 when I started my residency. This is my passion. It has always been an honor to be so trusted by my patients to be part of the team of doctors and nurses who care for them throughout their lives. Delivering babies and performing routine and complex surgeries is incredible, but the times I remember most are those emotional or quiet moments when a patient is at her most vulnerable, where hope is in short supply and the days ahead seem dark. In those times, when patients need a trusted, skilled doctor to hold their hands while we figure out together a comprehensive plan to ensure that she or her baby is the healthiest possible, is what I have trained a career for and want to be there to care for those women.
Degree: West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, W.Va.
Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology, NCC/National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Md.
Certification and Special Training: American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology