Rachel Miller, MD
- Clinical Faculty
- BIRCWH Scholar
- Gynecologic Oncology
Biography and Education
Dr. Miller is an assistant professor of gynecologic oncology at the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center. She completed a residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire, followed by a fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. Dr. Miller’s research interests include early detection of ovarian cancer, novel strategies in the treatment of ovarian cancer, chemotherapy-induced cognitive impairment, radical pelvic surgery, and robotic surgery for gynecologic cancers. She has presented her work at national meetings and has contributed to numerous peer-reviewed journals and book chapters.
I am Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Gynecology Oncology at the Markey Cancer Center. My major interests include early detection of ovarian cancer, novel strategies in treatment of advanced ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal cancers, surgical education, as well as population-based cancer research. I have recently completed fellowship in gynecologic oncology. During residency, fellowship, and as attending faculty member, I have educated and enrolled patients in numerous cooperative group trials. At the University of Kentucky, I facilitated the development of the intraperitoneal chemotherapy program, thus allowing our division to open a cooperative group clinical trial involving intraperitoneal chemotherapy. I am an active member of the Gynecologic Oncology Group as I believe that clinical trials offer the best option for treatment for many of our gynecologic oncology patients.
- Baldwin L, Huang B, Miller R, Tucker T, Goodrich S, Podzielinksi I, Desimone C, Ueland F, van Nagell J, Seamon L. 10-year relative survival for epithelial ovarian cancer. Obstet Gynecol.120(3): 612-18, 2012.
- Miller R, Ueland F. Risk of malignancy in sonographically confirmed ovarian tumors. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 55: 52-64, 2012.
- van Nagell, Jr J, Miller R, DeSimone C, Ueland F, Podzielinski I, Goodrich S, Elder J, Huang B, Kryscio R, Pavlik E. Long-term survival of women with epithelial ovarian cancer detected by ultrasonographic screening. Obstet Gynecol. 118: 1212-1221, 2011.
- Miller R, Smith A, DeSimone CP, Seamon L, Goodrich S, Podzielinski I, Sokoll L, van Nagell JR Jr, Zhang Z, Ueland FR. Performance of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ ovarian tumor referral guidelines with a multivariate index assay. Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Jun;117(6):1298-1306
- Ueland FR, DeSimone CP, Seamon LG, Miller RA, Goodrich S, Podzielinski I, Sokoll L, Smith A, van Nagell JR Jr, Zhang Z. Effectiveness of a multivariate index in the preoperative assessment of ovarian tumors. Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Jun;117(6):1289-97.
- Miller R, van Nagell JR. Preoperative Evaluation of Adnexal Masses. Women’s Health 7(1);37-39, 2011.
- Saunders B, Podzielinski I, Ware R, Goodrich S, DeSimone C, Ueland F, DePriest P, Pavlik E, Seamon L, van Nagell JR. Risk of Malignancy in Sonographically Confirmed Septated Cystic Ovarian Tumors. Gynecol Oncol 118(3):278-282, 2010.
- McDonald JM, Doran S, DeSimone CP, DePriest PD, Ueland FR, Saunders BA, Ware RA, Goodrich S, Pavlik EJ, Kryscio RJ, van Nagell JR Jr. Tumor Morphology, Biomarker Profiles, and Demographics in Predicting Risk of Malignancy in Adnexal Masses. Obstetrics and Gynecology 115(4):687-694, 2010.
- Ware RA, van Nagell Jr JR. Radical Hysterectomy with Pelvic Lymphadenectomy: Indications, Technique, and Complications. Obstetrics and Gynecology International, Vol 2010.
- 10. Pavlik EJ, Saunders BA, Doran S, McHugh KW, Ueland FR, DeSimone CP, DePriest PD, Ware RA, Kryscio RJ, van Nagell JR. The Search for Meaning---Symptoms and TVS Screening for Ovarian Cancer: Predicting Malignancy. Cancer 115:3689-3698, 2009.
- Cooper AL, Nelson DF, Doran S, Ueland FR, DeSimone CP, DePriest PD, McDonald JM, Saunders BA, Ware RA, Pavlik EJ, Kryscio RJ, Karpf M, van Nagell JR. Long-term survival and cost of treatment in patients with Stage IIIC epithelial ovarian cancer. Current Women’s Health Reviews 5:44-50, 2009.
- Salins L, Ware R, Ensor M, Daunert S. A Novel Reagentless Sensing System for Measuring Glucose Based on the Galactose/Glucose-Binding Protein. Analytical Biochemistry 294:19-26, 2001.